Thursday, September 25, 2008

Payson City Onion Days Parade

The annual Labor Day Parade at Payson lived up to my expectations. Since I have only been to a handful of parades over the years, I decided I would go and be a good sport and stay for the whole parade no matter what. I did secretly pray for rain so none of the family would want to go, but it did not rain at first. Mom, Jeff and I went down a couple of hours early and set up our chairs in front of the old middle school. Mom stayed and read a book while Jeff and I went home and got warm. I fixed a big thermos of hot chocolot for mom and took it back down. Soon Amy and Nate and their four kids came, and Mike and Ali and their family got there. We were all cold, but we bundled up and waited for the parade to start. As the parade started, it began to sprinkle a little rain. We were OK huddled together. As the parade continued, it began to pour rain. I ran through the park to my car to get some plastic covers to put over us and when I got back, everyone had run for their cars except Mom, Brooke, and Adi. Ali asked me to carry Scout to their truck and she took Grey to her mom"s car. Scout was freezing and crying, so I grabbed her and ran for Mike's truck. It was about two blocks away. As Scout and I approached the truck, I saw the backup lights come on. Right as I reached for the handle to get Scout and I to warm safety, Mike pulled off and left us standing in the freezing rain. I stood there holding Scout in the middle of the road waving, but to no avail. Mike finally came back to pick up Scout. Because we were the only ones still watching the parade, Mike took Scout up and down the road picking up candy. Finally, it was just Mom, her best little friend Adi, Brooke and I watching empty floats and trailers go by. After the parade, we went and ate a hot scone which did not stay hot long. I tried to talk Adi into going home as she was turning blue from the cold, but she was a real trooper and stuck it out. Finally I put Adi on my shoulders and left Mom and Brooke at the Park. Adi was glad to get home and into a hot tub to warm up. The girls and kids spent the afternoon attending the community theater production of Beauty and the Beast while the guys napped, played pool, and watched football. I cannot wait for next year to attend the parade once again......Nate, Amy and the Babies waiting for the parade.We are excited for the parade to start.
Mike helping Adi and Scout get the candy
Mike and Scout chasing down the treats
They even got ice cream
Trying to stay dry during the downpour
Smiles in spite of the rain
Grandpa, Gage and Nate....excited, just can't hide it

Finally warm and dry at the high school play
Adi finally let Grandpa take her home
Two soaked crazy people
Grandma, Brooke and Adi freezing and eating scones
Scout had finally had it and said take me home




1 comment:

Kim Bringhurst said...

Wow! I either had lots of catching up to do, or your posts just exploded all at once! I love all the pictures!